- ½ cup of soaked raw cashew nuts (Soak in advance overnight or minimum of 4 hours).
- ¼ cup of water
- juice of ½ lemon
- a pinch of salt
- 4 tables spoons of EVO
- 1 lb. of mushrooms diced
- 1 red onion diced
- Garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons of herbs de Provence
- 1/4 cup of vegan **red wine or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
** Vegan red wine is available it is usually also organic and contains no finings derived from animal products such as fish liver or egg white.
Gluten free crackers, sliced raw vegetables such as cucumber, carrot. Sauerkraut.
- Make the cashew cream by placing the cashews, water, lemon juice and seasoning in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Heat the EVO in a frying pan and sauté the onions and garlic until soft. Add the mushrooms and herbs and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and cook until the liquid has reduced and been absorbed by the mushrooms. Season to taste.
- Place the mushrooms in the blender with the cashew cream. Blend until very smooth. Pour into a serving bowl and chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with crackers and sliced cucumber, carrot and peppers. Garnish with a little sauerkraut.