- 6 large red peppers
- 2 cups of grated vegan mozzarella nut cheese (Optional).
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 4 tablespoons of EVO
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stick diced
- 1 star anise
- Garlic clove minced
- 1 pack (5 oz.) of steamed lentils
- 1 cup of vegan*red wine
- 1/3 cup of tomato paste
- 1 x 14 oz. can of Aduki beans
- 1 x 11 oz. (frozen) meatless crumbles (Such as Beyond meat).
- 1 x 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-teaspoon herbs de Provence
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- Salt & pepper
* Vegan red wine is available it is usually also organic and contains no finings derived from animal products such as fish liver or egg white.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the peppers length-ways and remove the seeds from inside. Place the peppers on a baking tray.
- For the sauce, heat the EVO in a frying pan and add the onions, carrot and celery. Sauté gently and allow the onions to soften and caramelize for about 10 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced so that the sauce is quite dry and season to taste.
- Remove from the heat and spoon the sauce into the peppers. Cover the peppers with foil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. If using the mozzarella vegan cheese, add the mozzarella and bake for a further 5 minutes or until melted.
- Remove from the oven and allow cooling a little, removing the star anise and bay leaf. Then garnish with the basil leaves and serve.