Smokin’ (Vegan) Chili Cheese
(Your guest will never know they are healthy and vegan!)
This is a tasty, spicy twist that is easy to make for a crowd and there is an even easier fast track version for those with no time to cook.
- 1-tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper seeded finely chopped (keep a few slices for garnish)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 x 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 x 14-ounce can (1 /1/2 cups) of cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag of Beyond Meat plant based crumbles (frozen).
- 1½ teaspoons (7 mL) apple cider vinegar
- I small can of chipotle peppers in sauce
- Sliced jalapeños
- 1 bag of grated vegan** mozzarella cheese. (Such as Daiya brand)
- I large bag of Corn tortilla chips, for serving
** Please note that vegan cheeses are made typically made from cashew nuts. So check if anyone has a nut allergy. Regular mozzarella cheese can be substituted for vegetarians or anyone with a nut allergy.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt with the EVO and cook until the onion starts to soften. Add the diced jalapeño, the bell pepper and the spices. Stir well and cook for a few minutes more.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes, Stir in the tomato paste, lentils, kidney beans, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, salt and pepper and taste to make sure it is to your liking. Bring to a boil and once the chili starts to bubble, lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the Chili starts to thicken.
- Place the tortilla chips into a large baking dish and top with about half the chili then add a layer of grated (vegan) cheese, and garnish with slices of jalapeño. Put in the hot oven and bake for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately with extra sides of your choice (See recipes below) and you can make another batch if needed with the other half of Chili or freeze for your next party. It is freezer safe for a month.
*FAST TRACK CHILI
- 2 cans of Vegetarian Chili (Such as Amy’s organic medium veggie Chili).
- 2 cups of frozen meat free crumbles (Such as Beyond Burger).
- 1 pack of steamed lentils.
- I can of chipotle peppers in tomato sauce.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. That’s it!